2 1/4 cups pitted prunes
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of walnuts chopped
1 10 oz jar maraschino cherries drained and chopped
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
4 teaspoons of baking soda
1 cups milk
1 cup of vegetable oil
1/3 cup confectioners sugar for decoration
- Cover prunes with water and heat until water steams cooking until plump. Strain the prunes. Once stranded add 1/2 cup of sugar, add chopped nuts, and chopped maraschino cherries. Set fruit mix aside overnight.
- Make the dough the following day:
- In large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center of the bowl. Add the 2 eggs, milk, grated lemon rind, oil and mix to form dough. Knead the dough until able to handle for rolling.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts.
- Roll each part into a rectangle of 1/8 inch thickness, add about 1/6 of the fruit mix onto the dough rectangle and spread nice and even.
- Fold the dough lengthwise into the center of your pastry. Fold the other side in slightly past center, and press seam lightly together.
- Pinch ends closed.
- Lift the loaf with a spatula and place on lightly greased cookie sheet with seam under.
- Hint: (I roll on parchment paper and fill as said above then move parchment paper and all to cookie sheet and cook on cookie sheet. No need to grease cookie sheet.)
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 18 - 20 minutes or until a golden brown, Let cool overnight on parchment paper.
- Make a glaze: With confectioners sugar add Vanilla, almond or lemon flavor. Glaze texture should have the consistency able for brushing top of loaf.
- Then add sprinkles as desired.
- After loaf dried, cut crosswise slices about 1 inch thick
I've been looking for the recipe for these. Thank you! : )ReplyDelete
Your very welcomeReplyDelete
You can always make the dough ahead. Just make sure to have it at room temp when working with it.ReplyDelete